About The Indoor Track
The Norton Healthcare Sports & Learning Center offers a 200-meter banked Mondo indoor track, one of the fastest indoor tracks in the world, in addition to the Humana Outdoor Track and Field stadium.
The facilities hosts a variety of track meets for athletes of all ages and all levels.
Outside of track season, The Norton Healthcare Sports & Learning Center’s indoor space can be utilized for a variety of events. Banquets with stage presentations, concerts, trade expos, vendor-based events, demos, and more!
Check out our upcoming events.
The Norton Healthcare Sports & Learning Center offers the only banked indoor track in the state of Kentucky.
The indoor 200 meter hydraulically banked track designed by Mondo and Kiefer is one of only nine in the United States and 17 in the world. Mondo has designed the tracks for the last ten Olympic Games and is the global leader in the sports flooring market. With the touch of a button, the state-of-the-art six-lane oval track takes just three minutes to raise or lower for banked corners. Once raised, it becomes one of the fastest indoor tracks in the world.
All track and field components meet IAAF, NCAA, NFHS, USTAF standards. There are eight-60 meter lanes (for sprints and hurdles) located within the infield area of the track with dual horizontal runways for pole vault, long jump and triple jump. Additionally, dual high jump approaches can be configured along with dual throwing sectors for shot-put located outside the oval next to the implement/weigh-in station. The portable weight throw sector and cage meet IAAF and NCAA specifications.
Lynx timing and scoring system sync to a LED Board located at the North and South ends of the track. The boards are designed to show instant results, team scores, event leaders, video commercials and messages all at the same time. The surround sound speakers provide pristine sound for announcements and video. The venue currently does not have a preferred timing company for meets; however, DC Timing has partnered for all meets during the 2021 indoor season.
Warm Up Lanes
Housing four-60 meter lanes, the warm-up area includes run out and stretching room. This area is equipped with speakers to allow the athlete to hear what events are being contested on the track. Hurdles can be placed in this area to allow hurdlers to warm up before their event. The warm-up room is located adjacent to the track to allow athletes easy access back and forth.
Media and Operations Area
The press box is designed to accommodate TV, print and electronic media representatives. There are individual workstations allowing for up to 20 people with individual wireless, Ethernet plug-in, TV monitors and speakers.
The timing box is located next to the press box and is designed for use by the timing team and PA announcing staff.
The facility's mezzanine level offers 7,500 square feet of flexible team and support areas above warm-up lanes. The mezzanine level is accessible from stairs on both sides as well as an elevator and it was specifically designed to have power along the full length for athletes to plug-in devices. This area overlooks the track so teams won’t miss a second of the action.
Elevated seating in the grandstands gives the spectator great views of the track as well as premium boxes that overlook the venue. The venue offers seating for 4,100 spectators.
Indoor Track Features
- The track area, once empty of the competition elements, is approximately 70,000 gross square feet.
- Grandstand seating of 2,797 is available on the west side of the floor; bleacher seating of 1,216 is available on the east side of the floor.
- Concert electric is available in the center of the east wall between the bleacher seats; 110-volt power is available via various floor ports located on the track surface.
- A 60’ x 40' stage is available, along with 1,500-floor seats garnering a house capacity for a staged event of 4,300.
- The floor can accommodate (with rental tables) a banquet for 1,000 people along with a 60’ x 40’ stage.
- A green room with a private restroom/shower is adjacent to the floor.
- A media room with hard-wired internet access and plenty of 110-volt outlets is located just off the floor also.
Types of Events
Norton Healthcare Sports & Learning Center will host a variety of track events that include youth meets, high school state championships, masters events, regional and national club-level championships, collegiate invitationals, collegiate conference championships, NCAA qualifying events, professional level, and more.
Fast Facts About The Track
- Only one of 9 hydraulically banked indoor tracks in the United States, and one of 12 in the world.
- The only banked indoor track in the state of Kentucky
- Widely regarded as the fastest indoor track surface and style both nationally and internationally
- Built to the specifications of the IAAF, NFHS, NCAA, and USATF